Imagine if there were a process, where, as shipment arrived, the recipient took pictures of the products and sent them back to the supplier as part of the all these shipments upon receipt, were taken pictures and sent back to the supplier as part of the advanced ship notice (ASN) verification process. By including pictures as part of electronic data interchange (EDI) transactions, disputes are avoided since all parties understand and confirm the state of the delivered merchandise. Once verification is complete, the retailer owns the merchandise.
Imagine being able to tag with pictures all actions among partners including:
- Every single transaction, including shipment delivery
- Every single data element, including case number, pallet number, and tractor license plate number.
- Every single system of record, ASN, purchase order (PO) or sales order.
- Every single interaction
The benefits of image enabled supply chain transaction are many:
- A clear system of record is available in the form of a picture or a set of pictures for any associated transaction.
- A clear set of criteria can be established to evaluate the state of the delivered product.
- A much better proof of delivery on the state of the product.
- Also any associated documentation such as a Bill of Lading or a Manifest or a Proof of Delivery document can be added to the picture set as well.
- Exception handling can be managed better.
So how do you think an image enabled supply chain transaction might benefit your organization. Let us know in the comments section below.