Although a seemingly small piece of your business, the right product labels are “mission critical” pieces of your operation. But, instead of going online and ordering whichever type of consumables you deem a good fit, it is best to turn to outside expertise – a consumables consultant – to get the most out of your investment.
In today's age of the Internet, businesses can pretty much shop online for anything they want – whether they are in need of a new set of handheld computers or a ream of paper. The same goes for buying consumables – barcode labels, ribbons, print heads, and other printer media. For some applications, it may be perfectly adequate to jump online and order a package of 4×2 labels. Those labels may work just fine. But, what if you are a manufacturer looking for barcode labels for something that will operate in extreme temperatures? Or, what if you are in need of an RFID label that will meet federal compliance mandates? In such situations, the 4×2, paper, “peel-and-stick” label probably won't fit the bill.
Although a seemingly small piece of your business, the right labels are “mission critical” pieces of your operation. For example, what happens if your labels fall off the product as soon as it ships? You'll lose traceability of that product, hinder deliver time, and end up with an upset customer and wasted money. Instead of going online and ordering whichever type of consumables you deem a good fit for your use case, it is best to turn to outside expertise – a consumables consultant – to get the most out of your investment.
You may be thinking, “I don't need a consultant, it's a waste of time and money.” Or, “I already know what I need.” Think again. Here are the top five reasons to bring in a consumables consultant.
- Depth of Knowledge & Expertise: There are professionals who have garnered years and years of experience working with, recommending and selling consumables. They've seen, firsthand, what works and what doesn't, and can point you in the right direction. With a deep understanding of various applications and use cases, they can take a holistic look at your situation and determine the solution that fits your unique business requirements.
- Helpful Questions, Helpful Answers: When selecting a label, there are a number of factors to consider – many of which may have never crossed your mind. A consultant will ask you these questions to gain a better idea of what you need. For example, the consultant will ask, what kind of surface will you apply the label to? How long will you need the label to last? Five days or five years? What are the environmental conditions? Is it exceptionally hot, cold, wet or humid where the label will reside? What kind of printer are you using, and what type of symbology will you print on the label? If you can answer these questions, you'll make the process of selecting the solution even easier and set yourself up for success.
- Time Savings: Turning to an expert will certainly save you time and effort, as the consultant will make sure you get the right label the first time. There is no second guessing, no frustration and no need to return that incorrect label you picked out online. Plus, you'll have the confidence in the consumables you receive and can immediately put them to work.
- Customization: Because no business or use case is the same, a “cookie-cutter” solution may not always fit. With a wide range of materials, engineering capabilities and lab-testing resources, a consumables expert can provide a customized solution that is tailored to meet your needs. The consultant may also to be able to recommend and provide the right hardware and software – like printers and scanners – to complement your solution.
- 5. Return on Investment: Once you are equipped with the right solution, you'll get the best possible use out of your consumables. You'll reduce the need to replace and reorder items, reduce print head degradation, and even extend the life of your printers. This leads to minimal printer downtime and streamlines your day-to-day operations.
While there's no stopping you from conducting your own research and ordering your next set of labels, ribbons, or other print media online, you'll find the most success by turning to a consumables consultant. You'll not only save time, money and frustration, but will also improve your business's overall efficiency, accuracy and connectivity in the long run.